Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Doug Hannon Wave spin reel

This review started with the purchase of this spinning reel on 7/3/11. I bought a spinning reel for throwing weightless worms and drop shoting for bass. After fishing with the reel for almost a month a terrible thing happened. I was out in my kayak fishing at my local lake when I heard a "kerplunk". As I turned to see what had made the noise I saw my new rod and reel combo sinking in 16' of dark, murky, stump filled water. I thought it was gone forever.

Well, after reading on a kayak forum where people were dragging their anchor to pull up their lost rod and reels I thought I would give it a shot. So on 9/26/11 I went back out to the exact spot where I lost the reel. The water was now a little lower because of the summer heat but I located the spot by finding the marked limb I had left behind when the reel took that fatal swim. I threw my anchor out and as I dragged it back in felt some resistance on the line. When I got it to the kayak I noticed it was my rig. I couldn't believe what had just happened. I was hoping to pull up the lost combo but never in a million years did I really think it would happen. And on the first throw of the anchor to boot.

Well I rubbed off some of the caked on mud and algae and for kicks I gave it a couple throws. I was amazed.  It was casting with out any problems. Heck, it was casting better than some of the new less expensive spinning reels I had used on occasion. When I reeled it in you could hear the sand in it so I knew it needed cleaning badly. Before I left the lake that day I made a short video of what had just happened.



I was so impressed with the reel and what it had been through I thought I would send an e-mail with the short video to Wave Spin Reels. I didn't really expect a reply but just wanted to show them what their reel was capable of. 
Several hours after I sent the email I got a return e-mail from Russ Riley,VP of Wave Spin Reels. He told me to send the reel in to him to be rebuilt. I have to be honest with you, I thought he was pulling my leg. I was the one that dropped the reel over in the lake and he was offering a free cleaning? LOL.... Now that's what I call customer service. A few hours later I received an email from Doug Hannon himself. It seems Mr. Hannon has a good sense of humor. I got a kick out of reading his reply to my accidental drowning of one of his reels. He seems like a very nice guy that stands behind his product with excellent customer support.

I sent the reel in to Russ on Monday and on Friday I received a pkg in the mail. I opened the box to find a bright and shiny reel. Now he said he wanted to rebuild it but I'm not sure what on this reel was original as it looks suspiciously like a new reel to me. :)

At a time when money is so tight it's great to have purchased a product that has proven it has been built right and can go the extra mile!  To have a company that will stand behind their product  and offer this type of customer service makes a really good impression on me, the consumer.

  * This reel is very smooth, and responsive when reeling in.
*As far as casting this reel, it will cast a small crank bait, or weightless worm with very little effort.
 *On their website Wave spin boast that it is tangle free. I too have found that the nasty tangles I've experienced in the past with other spinning reels are finally gone.
 *The largest bass I've caught on this reel so far has been in the 4lb range and the drag did a great job through out the transition.

The bottom line is that this is a great reel that I find myself casting more on each trip to the lake. If you are looking for a spinning reel for bass fishing give the DH3000 a try. I think you will be as pleased with the reel and the company as I have been.


Shaun Russell
russell.Shaun@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment